Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Drowning Girls

My sister and I headed off to the Tom Hendry theatre earlier this week to see this three-hander about the victims of an infamous 19th century English serial killer.

I'd heard a lot of good things about this show from its run at the Tarragon in Toronto and its previous incarnation as a Fringe show. I was not disappointed.

The collective of Charlie Tomlinson, Daniela Vlaskalic and Beth Graham have created a visually and emotionally stunning show: tightly and elegantly written,well-performed,ingeniously designed by Bretta Gerecke. It's also the best directed piece of theatre I've seen here this season.

Three women who are seduced,conned,married and murdered tell us how they got duped out of their money and their lives. This is a true crime story from the victims' point of view: a love story literally turned on its head.

All three actresses do a fine job but I was particularly impressed by Natascha Girgis as Margaret.

Droll, dark and deeply affecting, this is a night of theatre you won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment